It's Heating Up. Is Your Family Weather Ready? Hot Weather Safety Rules.
It’s summertime and things are heating up. Is your family hot weather ready?
With the fourth upon us families are preparing for the three 'F’s', Food Fun and Family! So, don’t let warm weather and high temperatures spoil your fun. Take precautions and follow these guidelines from the National Weather Center and make this summer the best one yet!
Hot Weather Safety Rules
- NEVER…EVER…EVER leave a person or animal in a closed car for even a few minutes. Temperatures inside a vehicle on a summer day can heat quickly and to deadly levels.
- Check on elderly friends and relatives to be sure they are coping well with the heat.
- If you do not have an air conditioner, go to a library, store or other location with air conditioning for part of the day.
- If you have to be outdoors during the hottest part of the day take frequent breaks and drink plenty of non-alcoholic and decaffeinated fluids. If possible reschedule actives to a cooler part of the day.
- Wear light-weight, light-colored clothing to reflect heat and sunlight.
- Listen to your body and be aware of the warming signs for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
- and lastly, take it easy. Better to substitute a lawn chair in the shade in place of that lawn mower in the sun.